Veggie Delight

Experiments in cooking !!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Rava Idli

Rava idli comes in handy when the regular batter is out-of stock !! This is also quick to make and no waiting time for fermenting.

Ingredients:

Sooji (Rava) - 2 Cups
Oil/Ghee - 5 Tbs
Green Chillies - 5/6
Thick Curd/Yogurt - 2 Cups
Onion - 1 (Cut into small pieces)
Boiled Peas - 1/4 Cup (Optional)
Baking Soda - 1/2 Spn
Grated carrot - 2 Tbs (Optional)
Grated coconut - 2 Tbs (Optional)
Salt
Coriander leaves
Curry leaves

To Season:

Mustard - 1/4 T.Spn
Urad Dal - 1/2 T.Spn
Bengal Gram - 1 T.Spn
Broken Cashew nuts - 10/12

Procedure

1. Fry the sooji for 2 minutes and mix with curd without forming any lumps
2. Heat oil and add the seasonings.
3. When the mustard splutters, add onion and fry for 2-3 minutes
4. Add this to the rava batter along with salt, baking soda and finely chopped green chillies. Also add the corriander leaves. Mix well.
5. Grease the idli plates with oil and spread the grated carrot and/or cocunut on the plate.
6. Pour the batter over this and steam cook for about 7-10 minutes

Serve hot with a side dish of your choice.

Rava Idli:



This is my entry for 'Weekend Breakfast Blogging' hosted by Nandita of Saffron Trail.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love rava idlis. Thanks for the recipe :D.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger FH said…

    Ahh.... I loooove rava idliezz!! Thank you so much for making me crave now!! Looks delish!!
    So you are the who had ragi unde !! I tried to remember so hard where I saw them! Looks great too!! I have to bookmark this...

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow!!!!!!!!!!! i love the taste of rava idlies...thnx for sharing...did u saw my Gajar halwa??

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    instant idlis.. count me in. thanks a lot.

     
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Menu Today said…

    Hi Jayashree,
    Very colourful rawa idlis. I always use MTR Instant Rawa Idli Mix..Now, I can follow your instructions. Thanx for sharing.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Prema Sundar said…

    Hi,
    I too use MTR rava idli mix.. Adding veggies to the rava idli is new to me.. looks very colourful.. A good idea of including the veggies.. thanks for the recipe.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rava idlis are easily one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Thanks all for the nice words.

    MT & Prema, hope you like this betterr now !!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home