Veggie Delight

Experiments in cooking !!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Ragi Unde

Finger Millet or Ragi is highly nutritious food grown in India and Africa. Being a rich source of calcium, it is suitable for toddler and the old alike. 100 Gms of ragi has 344 mg of calcium as against 9mg found in the same quantity of rice.

Though not a big fan of 'Ragi Unde'(meaning Ragi Balls) back when my Mom made, I have started taking it often due to the nutrients. Also this recipe uses jaggery which is a rich source of iron and folic acid.

Ingredients:



Ragi (Millets) - 2 Cups
Jaggery - 2 Cups
Ghee - 5/6 Tspn
Powdered Cardamom


Procedure:

1. Fry the ragi in about a spoon of ghee till the raw smell goes off.
2. Shift to a wide bowl and add the jaggery to it.
3. Mix completly so jaggery and ragi blends well. Add the cardomom powder.
4. Take a handful and make them into balls. The heat together with jaggery gives wetness to the mixture and helps forming the balls easily, else add the remaining ghee as required.

A healthy snack is ready in minutes !!

Note : In place of jaggery, brown sugar can also be used

Ragi Unde:

15 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Prema Sundar said…

    Hi jayshree,
    Ragi unde is new to me.. I have a packet of ragi with me in the cupboard for some time.. i didn't know what to do with that as I do not know many recipes with that.. I acan give this a try sometime and let u know.thanks for the recipe.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Menu Today said…

    Hi Jayashree,
    My mother used to make for us during school days. My mother add little grated coconut to it. Healthy one. Thanks for sharing.
    I liked your Aval Pakoda too.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jayashree, I have never tasted it. Will try soon.

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger FH said…

    Hey Jaya! you wouldn't believe if I said what I have in my draft right now!! :D Well ! check it out on monday or tuesday..I love ragi balls and thanks!!

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Jayashree,
    Is this ragi flour or whole ragi/?? I was looking forward to a recipe of radi mudde that I had in coorg :)

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My MIl has been telling me about Ragi unde. These look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Deepa Culinary World said…

    Hi jayshree,
    Your ragi unde looks very healthyto me.I will try this to my son.thanks for sharing

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jayashree,
    First time here, Love these undes. I make it often for my toddler with wheat flour. Never tried with ragi before. Thanks for the recipe.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger sudha said…

    Hi jayashree..wonderful blog and so many options with veggies. I never heard of ragi unda but iam sure it tastes good and also its healthy. Thankyou.

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Vaishali said…

    Jayashree,
    These are healthy snacks indeed. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey... Its nice to see so many comments:)) Thanks all for stopping by.Let me know when you try this healthy snack.

    Nandita, this is Ragi flour.Just fry it before doing.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Saleem Pothiwala said…

    mom makes something similar to this one...

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said…

    Hi Jayashree,

    iam visiting your blog for first time,it is really good.You have got all good food in store.I got some ragi last time when i visited india..its all over..i used to cook with rice and add sugar for my son.This recipe is good.When i get next time i can make ragi balls for my son.Thank you!!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Krithika said…

    Have never tasted this. Looks yummy ! Thanks for sharing

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Latha said…

    Hi Jayshree,

    Am goign to try your Ragi unde this evening. Will let u know how it turns out.
    Alos wanted to let u know that I have added u to my blogroll!

    Thanks,
    Latha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home